+1 if you like poetry.

Monday, February 21, 2011

Letter to Brooks: Spring Garden by Major Jackson

1
When you have forgotten (to bring into 
Play that fragrant morsel of rhetoric,
Crisp as autumnal air), when you
Have forgotten, say, sunlit corners, brick
Full of skyline, rowhomes, smokestacks,
Billboards, littered rooftops & wondered 
What bread wrappers reflect of our hunger,

2
When you have forgotten wide-brimmed hats,
Sunday back-seat leather rides & church,
The doorlock like a silver cane, the broad backs 
Swaying or the great moan deep churning,
& the shimmer flick of flat sticks, the lurch
Forward, skip, hands up Aileyesque drop,
When you have forgotten the meaningful bop,

3
Hustlers and their care-what-may, blasý
Ballet and flight, when you have forgotten
Scruffy yards, miniature escapes, the way
Laundry lines strung up sag like shortened
Smiles, when you have forgotten the Fish Man
Barking his catch in inches up the street 
“I’ve got porgies. I’ve got trout. Feeesh

4
Man,” or his scoop and chain scale, 
His belief in shad and amberjack; when 
You have forgotten Ajax and tin pails,
Blue crystals frothing on marble front
Steps Saturday mornings, or the garden
Of old men playing checkers, the curbs 
White-washed like two lines out to the burbs,

5
Or the hopscotch squares painted new
In the street, the pitter-patter of feet 
Landing on rhymes. “How do you 
Like the weather, girls? All in together, girls,
January, February, March, April... ”
The jump ropes’ portentous looming,
Their great, aching love blooming.

6
When you have forgotten packs of grape-
Flavored Now & Laters, the squares
Of sugar flattening on the tongue, the elation
You felt reaching into the corner-store jar, 
Grasping a handful of Blow Pops, candy bars
With names you didn’t recognize but came 
To learn. All the turf battles. All the war games.

7
When you have forgotten popsicle stick
Races along the curb and hydrant fights, 
Then, retrieve this letter from your stack
I’ve sent by clairvoyant post & read by light,
For it brought me as much longing and delight.
This week’s Father’s Day; I’ve a long ride to Philly.
I’ll give this to Gramps, then head to Black Lily.



BY Major Jackson
One of my favorite candies, they used to make my tounge burn after eating too many though.


POETRY OF THE DAY REVIEW:
Since this is black history month, ive decieded to submit one of my favorite poems written by a black poet. This piece is complete nostalgia for me, the piece takes me way back. How do you feel about the poem?

WORD OF THE DAY:
The word of the day for dictionary.com is a kinda lame today, doesnt take much thought to figure our what an inkhorn is.. a horn that holds ink BINGO. So instead i have chosen to use a past word of the day that i havnt used before :D.

lucubration

   loo-kyoo-BRAY-shun; loo-kuh-  , noun;
1.
The act of studying by candlelight; nocturnal study; meditation.
2.
That which is composed by night; that which is produced by meditation in retirement; hence (loosely)any literary composition.

After hours of lucubration with my baby, i realzed why she is just too amazing.

More poetry information:

18 comments:

  1. learned a new word today, I haven't had a now and later for years

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for the poem! and the word of the day!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the post! Great stuff :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought that the word of the day was lubrication, then I had to re-read it when the definition did not match. now and laters are a childhood favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sorry but the music from your player at the bottom has been so rad I've delayed commenting on your blog until I finished everyone else. Seriously, it's like im eating at Johnny Rockets or some other cool 50's style joint, but every track is a winner!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pura Vida from Costa Rica! I really liked this poem alot, it was an excellent pick. Just looking at those Now & Laters makes my teeth hurt though LOL.

    Great blog, I love how every post is more than just a poem, you can really tell this is a labor of love, I will be following from here on out!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Howdy
    Oh wow you always amaze me with your gift for words .
    Your love and dedication to poetry is such a great inspiration to me.
    While I may be middle aged I still have lots to learn.
    My Granny taught me that you must seek out young people in order to be inspired to grow beyond where you are . Now that I am on the far side of fifty I understand what she meant.
    Blessings of joy to you for the rest of the week.
    Thank you so much for sharing and challenging me to reach beyond my comfort zone.
    Hugs from Texas
    Until Next Time
    Happy Trails

    ReplyDelete
  8. great post and the word of the day is a new one for me. thx.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm loving that the background music (at least for me) was "Rum and Coca Cola". Great song!

    ReplyDelete
  10. revolting! :D You are sick as aids!

    ReplyDelete

thanks for your support!!